Optical Repair and Machining
- Full Time
Date Listed: August 25, 2022
Perform quality checks and preventive maintenance practices on entire Panavision Chicago optical inventory for use on future projects. Keep and update condition notes for optical inventory, this includes sub-rental, consignment and crew gear. Follow procedures for documenting and updating damage/repair contracts. Perform basic repairs on lens department related assets. Provide customer service to Panavision clients both in-house and on-set/on-location, includes troubleshooting potential issues or providing tech questions.
- Perform timely service procedures and general maintenance on all Panavision Chicago lenses, accessories.
- Troubleshoot and identify lens issues and determine appropriate action: service, minor repair, and major repair or refurb, return to vendor for major repair or refurb, including third party lenses.
- Work with Rental Department and Prep Floor team to assign priority and ensure that the appropriate equipment is ready to rent.
- Keep track of all supplies and parts related to the lens department and report shortages weekly to management.
- Examine, clean, test and perform basic adjustments of equipment used on the QC process.
- Dismantle, identify defects or damage, and effectively service equipment dependent on technical aptitude as determined by company training program.
- Maintain a clean and organized workstation as defined by management and per health and safety standards.
- Perform necessary information system transactions to maintain inventory accuracy.
- Use available systems and information to prioritize equipment moving through service. Equipment should be serviced in the appropriate amount of time. Work closely with Rentals and other technicians to balance resources to meet business demands and achieve process measurements.
- Identify and clearly communicate to Rentals and Management any equipment that has been severely “Damaged” or has major parts “Missing” which require the immediate filing of a Damage Report.
- Service and effectively repair minor problems with cameras and lenses on set/location as appropriate.
- Seek out knowledge and specification information on Non-Panavision manufactured equipment for gear integration purposes.
- Occasional off premises training to be communicated and approved in advance with the VP, Regional Operations.
- Working knowledge of specifications and applications of new and existing equipment housed at Panavision Chicago, including operation, service, and repair procedures.
- Basic knowledge of optics, mechanical and working knowledge of blueprints, parts lists, and schematics.
- Proper use of hand tools, shop fixtures, and materials.
- Future skill of machine shop knowledge is encouraged, after proper training.
- Understanding of camera theory and optics.
- Clear understanding of set call procedures and etiquette.
- Focus on delighting customer.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer skills.
- Knowledge of common camera rental practices.
- Ability to facilitate communication between departments.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to remain flexible towards change.
- Ability to work under pressure with strict time constraints while maintaining high performance standards and output.
- Must be available to work overtime and weekends as needed.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
This job operates in a warehouse environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and reach with hands and arms. The employee may also be required to lift product or equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
Prompt and regular attendance is required, employees are expected to begin work at the start of their scheduled shift and to complete their assigned work shift according to the responsibilities of their position.
This position works standard business hours, but may require long hours and some weekend work.
Some out-of-state/country and overnight travel may be expected.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.